Thursday, September 30, 2010

Specious Argument

People should really think through the implications of their arguments. For instance, Democrats are refuting the claim of Republicans regarding “health care reform,” the ones about how it “is a government takeover” or that it “does too much.”

“No,” say the Democrats, “by a large margin people feel the reform should do more than it does, not less.”

Assuming that I am one who believes that, why should I vote to reelect the jackass who passed such a half measure? Why should I be madly in love with legislators who created a bill that does less than I want done?

Yes, I know, Republicans would not have done it at all, but that is really weak tea as an argument. Democrats are bragging about being half-assed as if it were a virtue. “We can pass half-assed bills.” This is pathetic.

I’m not going to argue about what “health care reform” actually does or doesn’t do. The truth is that it’s 7600 pages and nobody knows, or probably ever will know, what it does or doesn’t do. It doesn’t matter what it does or doesn’t actually do. My point is the argument itself.

At one and the same time supporters of those who passed the bill are making a point of saying that people wanted more than they got and that they should reelect the people who gave them less than they wanted. That’s just ridiculous.

1 comment:

  1. .

    Jayhawk,

    "Assuming that I am one who believes that, why should I vote to reelect the jackass who passed such a half measure? Why should I be madly in love with legislators who created a bill that does less than I want done?"

    It is not ridiculous. It is of course the classic argument that "a half a loaf is better than none." It is a start. Yes, I want more and better. I am willing to accept good instead of best.

    Don't give up hope. The problems are man-made and will be solved with slow steady movements over time.

    Given the choices available, USA can continue to move forward or bring back the very same people who created the mess in the first place.

    Ema Nymton
    ~@:o?
    .

    ReplyDelete