Wednesday, September 08, 2010

On Deficit Spending

I believe that we should spend money to sustain the unemployed, and that one way of doing that is the creation of jobs. If we enlarge the federal deficit in the process that is probably a necessary evil until such time as we can manage to find ways to pay for that spending. As soon as can be managed, we should find ways to pay for that spending and eliminate the deficit. "National defense" would be a good place to start.

While I do not believe that we can "spend our way into prosperity," at any time and certainly not in the conditions that prevail today, I am open to seeing evidence if such can be provided. World War II and its aftermath is most certainly not such evidence.

2 comments:

  1. What type of jobs? I would be for national infrastructure improvements. Our roads and bridges are, in some areas, pretty bad and outdated. That would provide a lot of work for a lot of people long term. I don't think we need to go whole hog and create an updated version of the CCC, but we could certainly make some internal improvements. What I do not want to see are a bunch of make work bureaucratic type positions at the federal level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating jobs is in terms of "supporting the unemployed." I don't think I would go so far as repeating the CCC, although two of my favorite mountain highways were built by that endeavor, and my father was a physician for a CCC camp.

    ReplyDelete