Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Food Blogging Wednesday

This is actually my own invention, based on a television show for the real thing. I'm not thrilled by veal, and my grocery store doesn't carry prosciutto so I decided to wing it. I had forgotten the name of it, so I described it when my wife asked what was for dinner and was rewarded with what's known by us married folks as a "significant silence."  I am not, however, lacking in courage, or I may just be stupid. Anyhow, after dinner she advised me that I could make it again any time that I wanted to.

Poor Man's Saltimboca
Boneless pork cutlets
Thin sliced ham
Swiss cheese slices
Sage
Garlic, 2 cloves minced fine
Olive oil

Pound the cutlets until they are about ¼” thick and lay them out on your cutting board. Season lightly with salt and pepper and apply a little dried sage leaves, or a fresh leaf. Lay a slice of Swiss cheese on top of that, and top with a slice of ham. The pork cutlets, cheese and ham should all be the same size, and small enough to handle easily.

Heat the skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil and the minced garlic. Put your assemblies in with the pork side down, carefully so as not to disarrange them, and let them cook about 2-3 minutes until the pork is almost done and the cheese starting to melt. Turn them over and let the ham get browned and the cheese melted, which will only take a minute or so, then turn them back over again and let the port finish cooking, another minute or so.

1 comment:

  1. bruce9:50 AM

    This works with chicken too, I've used boneless chicken breasts pounded thin. I will try it with turkey slices, Jenni-O or Foster Famrs has those. I wonder if pastrami would sub for ham? Oh, if there is a Trader Joes near you, they have proscuitto.

    ReplyDelete