Friday, March 23, 2012

Oh Really?

The Christian Science Monitor has an article about astrophysics which has a rather strange opening paragraph. Or at least I, with my rather quirky sense of humor, was rather amused by it.

Planets in tight orbits around stars that get ejected from our galaxy may actually themselves be tossed out of the Milky Way at blisteringly fast speeds of up to 30 million miles per hour, or a fraction of the speed of light, a new study finds.

When I walk across my front yard I am actually walking at "a fraction of the speed of light." That fraction is very small, undoubtedly much smaller than that of the purported fleeing planets, but... Somebody probably deserves a Nobel Prize for this discovery, but perhaps not for writing the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment