Friday, October 29, 2010

Stand Clear

Not only should you stay clear of me, you might want to avoid San Diego
for a day or so, and maybe Southern California altogether. My computer suffered a motherboard failure, and I am reconfiguring a new, Windows 7, piece of... It is most definitely not an improvement on Vista. It keeps requiring me to stand up, salute, shout "Heil" and give it permission before it will do something it considers dangerous, such a running a program or renaming a stupid desktop icon. I can't find the place to make it remove the little arrows from those icons, either; it's somewhere in "Control Panel," which is not a panel at all, and offers only an illusion of control. Not even a very good illusion, now that I think about it.

I am managing to get my passwords and most of my data off of the old hard disk, but it is time consuming and annoying. I am not in a good mood.

Update: It appears that you cannot get rid of those arrows on the desktop icons without doing some rather esoteric registry hacks. Microsoft decided to remove that from earlier versions. Shitheads.

2 comments:

  1. bruce4:49 PM

    Um.... one of my opinions of Vista was annoying because it would alswys ask "do you wanna.." and my impression of Win 7 was similiar. Glad to know you're having fun with that. When I get around to using either on a more than occasional basis, I'll know who to contact.

    And I wasn't certain you could EVER remove those little arrows from icons. Hmmm, I have an idea. And no, it does not involve a registry hack. Unfortunately, I'll have to find a Windows machine to try it on.

    or was that an oops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, well I used Vista for years. I am sure it had some sort of problems that I don't know about, I am sure Someone took care them for me. Well, OK, I noticed computer problems occasionally but I don't know if they were Vista, user, or generalized computer problems; I am sure Someone might have an idea about that.
    Someone decided to upgrade my computer to Windows 7 and I do know it was an experience in locating new cheese as well as finding where old cheese had been moved to. I am still not sure if all the cheese adventures are worth it. You would have to ask Someone about that. I am pretty sure Windows 7 is considered to be big improvement over what used to be on Someone's personal computer.

    ReplyDelete