Friday, April 01, 2011

The Greater Good

I received a letter yesterday informing me that the City of San Diego is no longer going to pick up my trash and recycling, and that my homeowners' association will be contracting with a private firm to do that. Needless to say, my monthly fee will be increasing. The reason is that the city is having to cut back due to budget issues.

I have been advocating that governments should not be spending money they don't have. In depressed economy, some borrowing is needed to avoid excessive cutbacks, and I regard all of this posturing at the federal level to be absurd, but I'm in favor of fiscal responsibility, and the concept of a city refusing to collect trash on private streets is by no means unreasonable. The letter did not upset me at all; actually I was rather hoping for it. I think it's good policy.

Sometimes you just have to put your money where your mouth is.

No comments:

Post a Comment