Friday, August 13, 2010

What Am I?

Lest you think that my recent criticisms of left wing politicians and pundits indicate that I am some sort of refugee from the right wing, let me do some setting straight of the record here. I took a Q&A test not long ago that was designed to determine one’s political ideology, and the result put me somewhere to the left of Desmond Tutu. So if you have come to believe that I am a right winger in drag, I believe that you have may have sized me up inaccurately.

What I do believe is that liberal policies should not be defended or promoted using right wing tactical methodology of half-truth, distortion and false logic. If I cannot promote or defend a liberal policy using honesty and valid logic then I will admit that either I do not know what I’m talking about or that particular liberal policy is indefensible. Which some of them are; I do not consider everything to be good policy merely because it carries the liberal trademark.

I want the liberal community to be the community of honest thinkers that it once was, not the pack of howling jackals that it is becoming. Liberals should be thinking about policies and backing those policies which they can honestly support, not screeching mindless propaganda to prop up whatever ideology the leadership of some political party has told them is the agenda to be followed.

That’s what I do. I don’t read labels; I feel the garment and try it on for size. If it fits and is of good cloth I wear it. The label is irrelevant, and I don't subscribe to the "It's okay if you're a Democrat" theory.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I believe there is a huge difference between liberal and "left wing." Some of the things coming from the far left are bizarre to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with B.C. on both points, and the last paragraph of Jayhawk. And, no I'm not left or right wing (heaven forbid) and not terribly liberal... and conservative is not evil either. Actually, I agree with the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs above as well, with the caveat that the 3rd to applies to conservatives as well.

    ReplyDelete