Saturday, August 21, 2010

Disclosure on Social Security

Asking why my spate of articles against cutting Social Security is not an unreasonable question. Herewith my answer.

I am presently retired and drawing Social Security. When those who desire to gut the program win and make the cuts, it will affect future beneficiaries, not present ones, so in that respect I have no dog in this hunt. My position could well be that “I’ve got mine, so to hell with it.” I don’t think that way, and my argument is not about what’s in it for me.

This is my country, and the integrity of my government means something to me. I don’t expect total honesty from my government, that would be too much to ask, but I do demand that my government keep its promises and honor its debts, and I will argue to that effect for so long as there is breath in my body.

The “cost of living adjustment” is an issue that could have a significant effect on me and so, for the most part, I make no argument on that. I am of little consequence. What matters is my community, my nation, my fellow man and my planet. This forum is not intended to be a platform to serve my selfish personal interests.

Well, other than commentary on college and professional sports, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment