Monday, April 06, 2009

My Purpose Here

It is not necessary to hope in order to persevere.

That was the slogan of the Dutch as they fought for independence against the Spanish, trying to prevail against the strongest military power in world, and eventually succeeding.

Our nation’s government has gone astray, never more so than in the past eight years and the purpose of this blog is to speak out against the wrong course that it has taken. I do not have any illusion that my voice, alone, will create the change I seek nor do I hope that I will create that change, or even be instrumental in doing do. But I persevere. For me the task is merely to speak out. I consider that to be the responsibility of citizenship.

I voted for Barack Obama because he told me he would set this nation back on course, and it is my intention to use my words to hold him to that promise. I do not propose to be impatient in that endeavor, to criticize his inability to move fast enough, as many will.

But I will speak out when he takes actions which run counter to his promise. I do not believe that doing so is failure to “support my president,” but rather that failure to do so is a failure to serve my nation as a citizen and a patriot. This nation is badly off course and getting it back on course is not the task of one man, it is the responsibility of every man and woman who claims to love this country. One cannot be a patriot who stands idle and allows his government to run amok.

And so I write. I hope you read, but that hope is not why I write.

1 comment:

  1. bruce9:14 AM

    Very well said. E Pluribus Unum is "One out of many", ie: one nation out of many peoples. We all have a voice and not all can reasonably be expected to agree with one another. But the hallmark of this nation at least is the unfettered ability and the right to express oneself without fear (from the government at least). A very valuable right to be sure. Of course, your neighbors may not like the McCain sign in your yard, but you can do that.

    And write an opinion without getting a knock on your door in the middle of the night.

    Rush Limbaugh may not like you, but he's a twit anyway. And yet, still entitled to his opinion.

    Keep up the good work. There are many who read you, whether they opine or not.

    ReplyDelete