Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Filner Saga Continues

The latest exciting chapter of the San Diego Filner Saga was played yesterday when the slime creature emerged from the his office and read another prepared statement which closely resembled the first one. “I have a problem, I need to change,” blah, blah, blah.

He’s back to contrition. Having tried it as his first play, then going to defiance and finding that neither worked, he’s back to contrition with an added twist. This time he’s going into two weeks of “intensive therapy” to fix his problem. He’s going to remain on top of his task as mayor, though, because during his “therapy” he will receive twice daily briefings on the city’s business. So, and this is my interpretation, he’s going in for “inpatient sexual harassment therapy.”

Sort of a poor man's Tiger Woods.

I checked the DSM IV and I do not see “sexual harassment disorder” as a treatable mental defect, so I don’t think that is going to help him in the pending lawsuits. So far, it has not helped his declining political support much either, since 70% of the public and about 95% of the political establishment is still demanding that he resign.

I have a DSM IV because my wife is a therapist. Some day I’m going to write a book about that, by the way. Being married to a therapist is

Anyway, I ran this idea of twice daily city business briefings during Filner’s two weeks of “intensive therapy” by my wife, and asked her if that wasn’t somewhat counter to the purpose of the process; wouldn’t it tend to dilute the ability to focus on and deal with the problem. She was laughing at my question before I finished it, asserting that the concept itself was absurd, but agreed that if one is going to do two weeks of “intensive therapy” then outside distraction would be seriously destructive to the process.

She still puts down my criticism of the daily briefings, though, because why be critical of something that is detrimental to a process when the process itself is utter bullshit to begin with? She has a point, of course. Another paragraph for my book.

What Filner really needs is a brain transplant.

1 comment:

  1. 1) Filner's brain (if he even has one) is in his pants, so what kind of transplant is that?

    2) Perhaps you and Kathy have an agreement: you don't write about wifely therapists in your blog and she lets you live?

    ReplyDelete