Thursday, October 13, 2011

Management Fail

On CBS News last night they did a segment showing a young man wielding a MIG welder and referred to him as a “skilled worker” who had received three job offers when he graduated from the school which taught him how to do that. They then said that federal funding for that type of school is being cut, and interviewed the welder’s boss who expressed concern about where he was going to be able to hire “skilled workers” if the funding for these training schools continued to be cut.

My wife finally did the “Shut your mouth dear, you look like a goldfish” thing, because I was too stunned to react by screaming at the television as I might otherwise have done. Something to the general effect of, “Train them yourself, you blithering moron.”

I can’t tell you how many “skilled workers,” pipefitters, welders, millwrights, electricians and the like I have hired. Many of them had the skills I needed because they had been working in the trade for some time, others did not, so I trained them myself. Not once did it ever occur to me that it was the responsibility of my government to provide me with skilled workers.

No wonder business in this nation is falling flat on its damned face. It’s being managed by idiots.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I also think that we need more skilled workers in the labor force. Of course if we continue to outsource manufacturing......

    ReplyDelete