Sunday, January 01, 2012

Happy New Year

I can remember when the BIG GAME was on New Year's Day. The college football Holy Grail. The two best teams of the gridiron duking it out as we gathered on our couches and nursed our hangovers to cheer our favorites and/or grouse about what might have been. Now it's just another NFL weekend, a few more "bowls" of 6-6 college teams, and the college championship still nine days away.

I never went out on New Year's Eve, because that was "amateur night." Damn fools didn't know how to drink. They'd throw up right on you. Us professionals always had a clear thirty second warning that barf was coming. "Excuse me, I need to go puke." Amateurs will keep both eyes open while driving. Idiots; then you don't know which center stripe to follow. Keep one eye closed and there's only one stripe.

I still don't go out. Different reason these past thirty years.

But I celebrate the years and treasure every one of them. There are no good years, or bad ones. Rain is "bad" if you're having a parade, but it's "good" if you're a farmer. Rain is just rain, and a year is just a year. "Good" and "bad" are value judgements that we place on things, and we place them based on how those things affect us. But I'm not the center of the universe, and how something affects me is not the true measure of what it is.

So 2012 is here. Treasure the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment