Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bob Herbert on Offshore Drilling

Today, Bob Herbert writes an op-ed piece in the New York Times.
"He was talking about the latest smoke screen in the presidential election, the bogus contention that lifting restrictions on offshore oil drilling would somehow, in the foreseeable future, bring down the price of gasoline for American motorists.

This absurd contention is now one of the main issues of the campaign. It’s the latest example of a very real fear (that sky-high energy prices will undermine the average family’s standard of living) being exploited shamelessly for political purposes."

I know, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. And what do I care, I'm an old guy. Well, I care what I leave to younger generations. Like Native Americans, I believe that this earth was merely lent to me, and that I have a responsibility to return it undamaged. My nieces and nephews have children, and I want those children to grow up in a livable world.

We are getting it wrong, and doing it for the wrong reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment