Sunday, April 06, 2008

Crystal Ball

ku jayhawkI'll bet I know where my sister will be at 6:00PM PDT Monday. It does not take a genius to make that prediction, as she is a basketball fan and an alumnus of Kansas University. I suspect she enjoyed the evening yesterday as well.

I may even have to watch the game myself. My bride would just as soon watch paint dry, but...

You may have noticed what my blog name is?

Tuesday morning

Wow. I thought Kansas was toast. I think pretty much everybody thought Kansas was toast. Not only down by nine with two minutes left, but they'd been getting their butts kicked the whole second half. But the basketball players in dark blue didn't think they were toast.

One of life's great experiences, by the bye, is to be in the football statium at Lawrence and hear the low murmer of "Rock chalk, Jayhawk, KU" start up. It begins as a low chant and is repeated over and over, swelling each time in volume until it is a thunderous roar. Awesome. When it starts you can barely hear it, but you know what is coming and the hair on the back of your neck stands up.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:53 AM

    Yes, I did notice that you have chosen to name yourself after a feisty and very colorful man-eating bird. So either you are a dandy, or have odd dietary preferences.
    Oh, that bird is also known for being rabidly committed to defending liberty and justice. Could THAT be the connection?

    [Arthur]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:52 AM

    Jayhawks eat people? Maybe that was from the Civl War era... of course, some could say the KU basketball team has been eating up people. And yes to Arthur's comment about liberty & justice. Good luck to the Jayhawks in the BB game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to anonymous and Bruce: Right on all points!!
    And, yes, I'm planted in front of the TV - as I have been a number of times over the years - especially in '56 (or was it '57?) when Wilt led the Jayhawks to a bitter loss in the 3rd OT. Except, of course, when I was there in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats.

    I was rooting for Memphis (have friends down there) and I thought KU was toast too.

    It was an exciting game though!

    ReplyDelete