Friday, December 24, 2010

Say What, Again?

ABC News is warning travelers that "toting thermoses and insulated beverage containers through the nation's airports today" might create problems. The last time you were in an airport, how many people did you see carrying thermos jugs and insulated beverage containers? Given that liquids are limited to 3.5 freaking ounces, and containers of that sort cannot be taken onto airplanes, I suspect you did not see any.

Apparently, though, this warning comes from the TSA itself, who is telling us that the "tactics terrorists might use include the concealment of explosives inside insulated beverage containers." They go on to say that "while no specific threats have been reported, agents at airports have been trained to detect a variety of threats, including the concealment of explosives in common items." That would include underwear, I suspect.

This ABC News item is just plain wierd. TSA has not received any specific tip or anything, they just decided to pull something out of thin air to issue a warning about, and picked insulated beverage containers. So ABC News, of course, promptly went along and started honking about the danger of bombs possibly being hidden inside insulated beverage containers.

Update: The more I think about it the wierder this gets. "Concealment of explosives in common items," forsooth. If I were a terrorist I would certainly hide my explosive in a common item. I would certainly not hide it in a fucking uncommon item. "What do you have in that fake watermelon, fella?"

2 comments:

  1. "honking about?" I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't actually carry an insulated mug, but I do take an empty, CLEAR, water bottle in my carry on, which I fill from a water fountain (or at McDonolds) after I get past security. Haven't had any problem, but haven't tried it since the new rule. I could see an insulated mug to keep the water cold longer, but obviously won't try that now. Now, as to other "common items" - well........

    ReplyDelete