Friday, January 04, 2008

Wacky Weekend

Well, the weekend may be a little wacky but mostly I’m getting that way. I’m taking a break from working my butt off. Well, I’ve been working 3+ hours/day which for me is a frenetic pace: I’m supposed to be retired for medical reasons which I won’t bore you with.

There is a major rainstorm coming, I have laid in supplies for cooking but have decided not to build an ark, and the Chargers are in a playoff game on Sunday which may or may not be televised locally and which they may or may not win even though they are favored by a ridiculous 9 points.

The rainstorm has been being forecast for several days, with predictions of up to 5”-6” at the coast. That would put us above our normal rainfall for the first time in several years. At one point the NOAA was cautioning about the “likelihood of life-threatening flooding” in the recently burned areas. More recent predictions are beginning to soft-pedal a bit, but they are still for quite a lot of rain for several days. This during a La Nina year, which normally produces severe drought here. Go figure.

I’ve laid in supplies because San Diego becomes quite hazardous when it rains. Everybody thinks their car is going to dissolve, or something, so they drive really fast to get home before that happens. Nobody’s windshield wipers work because “My God, who knew I might need them?” and, of course, you can’t replace them when it’s raining. You’ll get all wet.

Grilled burgers for dinner tonight, Orange and Ginger Chicken on noodles tomorrow, and Green Chilies Chicken Salad for the football game Sunday. Want recipes? I might accommodate you in the next day or so.

Which brings us to the upcoming game with the Chargers, winners of six straight games now. Yeah, against teams with records like 4-12 or so. I’m not quite as impressed with them as they are with themselves. Nine point favorites against the Titans? In your dreams.

The personalities of the players, with their arrogance and chest-pounding, “look at me” ways may have something to do with the fact that, as of Friday morning, the Sunday playoff game was not yet sold out and its presence on the tube was still uncertain. That and the forecast of rain. San Diegans do not like to get wet, except in the ocean or their bathtubs. But you can’t get naked at Qualcomm Stadium. (Well, I guess you could, but... Never mind.) There were only about 350 tickets left to be sold as of today, so…

Philip Rivers is being hailed as something between George Washington crossing the Delaware and Moses parting the Red Sea. To me he looks more like Barney Fife dropping his bullet while loading his gun and doing a belly flop in the lake. He’s turned out to be an arrogant jerk with a thoroughly unlikable personality; but we aren’t asking him to dinner, we’re just expecting him to throw enough good passes to win games. Which he has done, marginally, against 4-12 teams. It remains to be seen what he can do against a team with a winning habit.

I want to see them win Sunday, I’m just not real confident that I will.

1 comment:

  1. I'm another non-family member who checks your blog from time to time. I enjoy the political discourse, and you make me hungry whenever you talk about what you're cooking. It sound so good! If I'm ever in San Diego (not likely) I'm coming over for dinner! Recipes are appreciated, when you have time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete