Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I Have a Dream

A newscaster interviewed a African-American voter on ABC News last night and her statement was something very close to “I really like the idea of having an African-American president, but I’m torn. I’m also a woman, and I’d like to vote for a woman.” At that point I wanted to throw something through the television screen.

If this is the way we select our leaders then we deserve a president the caliber of George W. Bush.

Unfortunately, this is the way we select our leaders. It’s how we got George W. Bush, and the news media helps it be that way. Bush was constantly presented as “the guy you’d like to have a beer with” and never as the guy who failed to fulfill his National Guard obligation, or the guy who got off of a drunk driving charge, or…

It isn’t about whether the next president is black, or female, or chartreuse, or a freaking hermaphrodite. It’s not about what they are, it’s about who they are. It’s about what they have done and, more importantly, what they offer to do if elected.

To paraphrase a great man whose birthday we celebrated yesterday, although not to presume that my words will ever approach in greatness or nobility or courage the steadfast nature of his life.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day the leaders of this country will be elected not based on the color of their skin, or on the shape of their bodies, or on the winningness of their smiles, but on the content of their character and on the value of their actions.

I have a dream that one day the media of this country will present to the electorate the true facts upon which to base a decision when selecting their leaders in the voting booth.

I have a dream that one day the leaders of this nation will serve the best interests of the nation and its people and not campaign with bitterness and hatred in their own best interests and in pursuit of personal power and self aggrandizement.

Today, I can only dream.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:30 AM

    Bravo, Sir William! Well said and very appropriate. One reason I liked Reagan he rarely stooped to acrimony and was optimistic and a visionary. I'd say that is a little like Obama, but that is stretcjing it a bit. I'm still wait and see on him. Having Oprah vouch for him is a no-starter for me...

    ReplyDelete