Friday, August 24, 2007

Tabloidism Abounds


See that picture at the left? Is that a US nuclear submarine? Yes. I cannot tell you which one it is, but it is a nuclear submarine. Dark days: according to the tag line by the raw story, The US Navy Submarine Service has sunken (pun intended) to the level of using its ships for drug running.

We smuggled booze aboard when I served in submarines, and in quite considerable quantity, but probably not as much as 5.5 tons at a time. It was for personal consumption, however, and was usually gone before we reached port again. But I digress.

The image and tag line link to a story in USA Today that begins as follows,

A submarine-like vessel filled with hundreds of millions of dollars worth of cocaine was seized off the Guatemalan coast, U.S. officials said.

Four suspected smugglers were operating the self-propelled, semi-submersible vessel when it was located and seized on Sunday evening by officials from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, U.S. Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard, the Border Patrol said in a news release Wednesday.


I check this website from time to time, have a link to it in my "bookmarks," but it’s more for amusement than to keep myself informed. I also have links to other comic sites. One of my favorites is about kitties, mostly, and is even funnier than "the raw story." This site uses all capitals in its name, which sort of balances “the raw story” failing to use any at all.

Update


If you click on the raw story link now, you will see that they have changed the picture. Good for them, but I'm not taking down the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment