Friday, September 09, 2011

Party Time

I didn’t see the president’s speech, nor did I see the Packers/Saints basketball football game. (I was briefly overcome by the score. Remember, I didn’t see the game.) Guess which one I most regret missing. Power went out at about 4:40pm yesterday and didn’t come back until this morning.

It didn't make me feel any better that there were four million people in the dark with me. Apparently some dipwad maintenance man at SDG&E removed the wrong part for maintenance, and wound up taking out power to all of Southern California, along with parts of Arizona, Nevada and Baja California. I’ll bet he’s embarrassed. I actually kind of know that feeling, but I’m not going to tell you why.

So I cranked up my emergency radio and listened to emergency notices, and then happened onto a station that was taking callers to report on local conditions throughout the city.

“Where are you calling from?” they asked the first caller.

“Hey, we’re at Mission Beach,” was the reply, “Come on down. We’ve got plenty of cold beer, hero sandwiches and the weather’s fine. We’re having a great time down here.” This is, after all, San Diego. When all else fails, it's party time at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment