Monday, January 17, 2011

"Elite Company"

David Haugh of the LA Times is simply swooning today over Jay Cutler’s performance yesterday; saying, among other things, that it puts him “in the company of elite quarterbacks.” The man did win a playoff game, but given the number of playoff games that there have been in the NFL, winning one is not sufficient for the “elite company” label unless something else happened. I watched the game, and I saw a decent team with a balanced offense beat an overmatched opponent.

Haugh seems impressed with Cutler completing 15 of 28 passes, but I find that somewhat underwhelming. It amounts to a whopping 53% completion against the league’s 27th best passing defense; a defense that allowed completion of 57% of the passes thrown at it during the regular season. I'm not sure how Haugh regards a 53% completion percentage as a "nearly flawless playoff performance."

Haugh was dazzled by the fact that Cutler spoke in complete sentences, so I guess we have to concede something. After all, how many quarterbacks speak in complete sentences? Oh wait, I’m pretty sure all of them do.

The one that cracks me up is where he refers to Cutler as “one of the most physically gifted quarterbacks in the NFL.” Oh, reeely? I’m not even going to bother to name names, but is Cutler even one of the ten most physically gifted? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment