Thursday, July 09, 2015

What Should Be Banned?

From an AP story about a man who was killed when he placed fireworks on top of his head and lit the fuse,

Devon Staples, 22, and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in a backyard in Staples' eastern Maine hometown, Calais, when the accident happened with a reloadable fireworks mortar tube, police have said.

It’s hardly surprising to learn that drinking had been involved, but I’m not sure that “accident”  is the applicable term here. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say “when the Darwin event occurred,”  or “when Staples inadvertently committed suicide.”

In other news, not one but two NFL players, from different teams and in separate cities, had “accidents”  with fireworks that resulted in the amputation of a finger.

There will, of course, be calls to ban fireworks, and the mother of the New England man is already doing so. Banning stupidity is impractical, as it would render most of the population unable to function.

1 comment:

bruce said...

But her poor baby has been harmed and mortally injured by dangerous WMDs and they should have had warnings and the boor boy didn't know they would be so bad for him, wahhh boo hoo sniff sniff

Darwin award indeed.

Post a Comment