Thursday, July 23, 2015

Semper Fi

I have always had a fondness for Marines. Yes, I always fucked with them when they were aboard my boat, but they always took it good naturedly and dealt it back in the same manner. We are both Navy. I admire them tremendously as well. They have a long history which is important to them, and of which they are justifiably proud.

World War II in the Pacific was won by submarines and the Marines. Well, okay, a few aircraft carriers helped, and the Army Air Corps dropped a couple of big bombs, but the Marines took the islands and submarines sank most of the ships.

CBS was talking with some Marines who were at the shooting in Chattanooga. One of them was speaking of a friend who had helped several of his men to safety before being killed by the shooter. He said, in a very matter-of-fact tone, “He took care of his Marines,”  and I found my eyes watering. Must have been some pollen in the air.

That’s what a non-commissioned officer and the Marine Corps is all about. Semper Fi is the Marine Coprs motto, short for Semper Fidelis which means "Always Faithful."

“He took care of his Marines.”  I hope they put that on his marker at Arlington; there is no finer epitaph.

Update, 10:30am: On a lighter note, the submarine service, as far as I know, does not have a motto, unless it would be something along the lines of, "Oh shit, don't open that valve you idiot"  which, for proper effect, should be screamed at the top of one's lungs.

No comments:

Post a Comment