Sunday, May 17, 2009

Over-securitization

I’ve had a US Bank credit card for years. I have been able to log on to the Internet and view the activity and pay the bill for several of those years, and appreciate the convenience. A month ago US Bank sent me through a series of steps, requiring that I select a set of questions and answers, a picture with a matching phrase, and enter a new password with a very rigid set of parameters, all to provide “security.” I had no idea what I was doing, none of the questions were anything I’m likely to remember (I have no idea what street my father lived on when he was twelve years old), and I suspected that at some point I was going to lose the ability to access my credit card account online. I wrote everything down, neatly defeating the entire purpose of security measures, and of course I misplaced the piece of paper on which I wrote all that nonsense.

It didn’t take long, I am now locked out of my account access.

The new security is really cool. Due to the rigid parameters for passwords required by the new systems, different for each secure site I use, I have no hope of remembering any of my passwords, so I now have a piece of paper taped to my monitor listing all of my usernames and passwords.

Good work, security people.

No comments:

Post a Comment