Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Ultimate Argument

There are endless arguments regarding gay marriage. I make no secret that I favor making marriage available to any two people who profess to love each other, and I’m not going to rehash any arguments here. I will say that the whole discussion is becoming repetitive and a bit tiresome.

I’m all for freedom of religion, and for the freedom of being able to discuss religion, but these people who are trying to convince me that my marriage is in trouble because two people of the same gender get married are beginning to annoy me. Hearing the same discussion over and over is getting old.

I heard a new point made by an Iowa State Senator describing his daughter, who had been listening to a group of elderly men discussing the subject at length. Finally she spoke up, he said, and told them, “You guys just don’t get it. You’ve already lost. My generation doesn’t care about this.”

Now that argument made me smile. “You’ve already lost.”

The younger generation elected Barack Obama, not just with their own activism, but by changing their parents’ minds. They will cause gay marriage to become the law of the land. They are the “green generation.” The younger generation is taking things over, and the older generation is flailing in the wind.

That is the natural order and is a very, very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment