Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Right on Secretary of State

The more I see of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, the more I believe that she is turning out to be an excellent choice for that position. I did not support her selection, and I’m increasingly thinking that I was dead wrong.

For one thing, we are not seeing all that much of her. I rather expected grandstanding and there is a lack of that which is a credit to her, to her office, and to the nation which she serves. On the occasions when we have seen her I have felt significant pride at the manner in which she has represented my country with dignity and grace.

She has unfailingly and wholeheartedly supported her President. In every instance when there has been opportunity for her to advance her own policy, or even what might be his policy on her own initiative, she has deferred to the President. She has deflected criticism of the President and supported him without using reflexive, defensive platitudes and without to the least degree becoming a presidential echo chamber.

The following clip provides an interesting exchange:



I enjoyed the quote about “It won't surprise you that I don't consider Dick Cheney a particularly reliable source…”

I inserted the clip, however, for what follows that. Pressed, in an extremely rude manner, for an answer about her position on releasing the memos that Cheney claims exist Clinton responds that “I will support whatever decision the Obama Administration makes.” Asked what her recommendation will be on that decision, she says that she “will not share that” with the committee.

I have seldom seen a member of the legislature treat a member of the Executive Branch quite as rudely as that jackass treats Mrs. Clinton but, while she gets just a little bit short with him toward the end, she remains quite polite to him throughout.

I’m thinking we may have the right Secretary of State.

No comments:

Post a Comment