Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Changing Times

All the rhetoric about how this country is a racist nation, and the uninterrupted history of police brutality takes me back to an incident I experienced sometime in the early 1970s. I was at a smallish party and was introduced to a man who, I was told, had come to this country from Poland. He said he had been here about a year, living in Atlanta, Georgia.


At one point I asked him what one thing most impressed him about America. He did not hesitate even slightly before replying, "One doesn't have to be afraid of the police."


He was black. Think about that for a moment.

2 comments:

  1. And he lives in deeply "Southern" Atlanta, to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The police of a soviet satellite state is a pretty low bar to clear.

    ReplyDelete