Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Worst Cooking Show Ever

The local cooking guy did a show to help reduce fat in my diet this evening.

First he suggested that I replace the bear claw that I eat for breakfast by having oatmeal instead. Okay, I don't have a bear claw for breakfast and anyway, oatmeal? Yeah, right. I have an idea, I could eat sawdust for my breakfast; that's really low fat.

Then he introduced tuna salad sandwich, replacing the Mayo with - wait for it - cucumbers. Really? Yes, really. Tuna, mustard and cucumbers on whole wheat toast. I don't think I'll try that.

Finally, I've always thought that putting sour cream on one's baked potato was barbaric, given that it's, well, sour cream, but he went all positively Genghis Khan. He pointed out that yogurt has less fat than sour cream and said I should put yogurt on my baked potato instead of sour cream.

Oh, good God. I need a different cooking show.

3 comments:

  1. bruce9:27 AM

    Okay, I have many objections to this, in addition to the ones you raised.

    I think he was giving an example, not everyone can be having bear claws or doughnuts or whatever. How many people have those sorts of things as grab & go? Preparing oatmeal can be a no-go if you running late in the morning. But I have had Starbuck oatmeal to go and it's not bad. But no, I generally have my oatmeal in cookies.

    I don't eat bear claws either, mostly because I'm too lazy to go to the bakery in the morning to get fresh ones, the store ones are crap, and they're too sweet anyway.

    Cucumbers on a sandwitch is not a bad idea (sliced really thin), but not as a replacement for mayo. Low fat mayo exists, you know. And hello! what are you making your tuna (salad) with? You just dump some tuna on a slice of bread? I don't think so.

    Sour cream on BP is... "traditional". Where that came from, I don't know. I'd just rather have extra butter. Oh, sorry, that's not low fat. Ooops, my bad. Put the yogurt on some tikka chicken.

    In your case, eat what you damn well want to. You have bigger issues than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could use yogurt instead of mayo in your tuna sandwich? (Personally I put it on my baked potatoes, but not on my artichokes. That's just plain ick!)

    ReplyDelete