Thursday, June 25, 2009

Weaponized Keynesianism

I sometimes halfway wish, when I see Barney Frank speak, that I were not both married and straight. I swear, I would move to Washington and make a run at him. I know, he has a partner, but still... He comes up with some of the most penetrating and delightful statements. Like this one, quoted by Paul Krugman, about people defending a Cold War weapons program,

These arguments will come from the very people who denied that the economic recovery plan created any jobs. We have a very odd economic philosophy in Washington: It’s called weaponized Keynesianism. It is the view that the government does not create jobs when it funds the building of bridges or important research or retrains workers, but when it builds airplanes that are never going to be used in combat, that is of course economic salvation.

Given the comment, I perhaps should add that I'm thinking intellectually here, not... Oh, crap, maybe I should delete the post.

1 comment:

  1. bruce3:37 PM

    W.T.F. ....... to all of that post.

    ReplyDelete