Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thank you

I know they will not read this, but…

To those whose loved ones are in harm’s way on this national day of thanks and who are, perhaps, not feeling much to be thankful for.

I cannot know what it feels like to be you.

I have served far from home and in hostile waters. Like your loved ones, I chose that service and I never regretted it. I did not enjoy the anxiety it caused those who worried about me, but I loved doing my duty. More than forty years later, having done that duty is still part of how I define who I am.

Do not think that they left you lightly. They do what they must do and so too must you. Willing or not, so too must you, because you love them.

Be the cause just or unjust it is this nation’s battle. Many remember to thank those who fight the battle, too few thank those who worry and wait.

And so, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment