Saturday, February 09, 2008

Minor Annoyances

About half a dozen or so blogs that I read on a daily basis now have some sort of script that hangs up my computer. When I go to the blog the computer freezes for about 20-30 seconds, sometimes more like 60, and I cannot even close the browser until a popup appears that advises me that a script has "stopped running or is busy" and asks if I want to stop the script. I suspect it is some sort of advertising thing, since all of the blogs that it occurs on have advertising on them.

Other blogs, ones that don't have this script, have lots of ads and load very slowly at times. When there is a long wait for a load and I look at the lower left of the browser the advisory is always something like "Waiting for www.blogads.com..." Notice that the advertising loads before the content does, so I can't be reading anything interesting while I'm waiting for the ads to load.

Now you know why there is no advertising on my blog.

The anti-virus program that I use updates daily at about 9AM, and lately it has decided that I must restart my computer after the update. It used to do that about 1 out of every 100 times, now it does it every single day. Do they know how long it takes to restart a Windows computer? Are they trying to annoy me into buying some kind of upgrade to the program?

I wish political commentators would quit saying there is "no difference of policy" between Obama and Clinton. Why bother with a primary campaign if that is the case? There are many of us that believe there is a significant difference between "Yes I will talk to the leaders of nations we don't like" and "No I won't talk to them until they have done what we want them to." (Obeyed our orders.)

On the other hand, if these are the worst things I can think of to complain about, I would say my life is going pretty well.

1 comment:

  1. I read all my blogs through Google Reader (including yours). Saves me the trouble of having to go to any individual addresses, and there are no ads or loading issues. Also, you can flag items to share with friends who use Reader. Most of the things I share pertain to bacon and lolcats.

    The only downside is that you have to go to the site itself to see comments (unless you also subscribe to comments feeds). That means pushing the V key to View the original post. It's exhausting.

    Maybe I should go work for Google. It might be nice to get paid for being such a cheerleader.

    ReplyDelete