Friday, December 17, 2010

Last Word on This Topic

Okay, this is my last comment on the tax bill, especially since it is now on the President’s desk for signature. Bickering over something that is already accomplished is just dumb, but I have been meaning to say this for some time and other points have seemed more important.

I consider that objecting to this deal because of the tax cuts for the rich is just petty and mean spirited. As long as we get what we want, why does it matter what anybody else gets or does not get? Denying benefit to others is mere spite and petty revenge and is not a valid basis for passing laws.

Don’t give me that “We can’t afford it” or “We are expecting our children to pay for it” crap either. The amount that we are borrowing for middle class tax cuts is far, far larger than the amount for the tax cuts for the rich, so if we can’t afford it for the rich we can’t afford it for the middle class either.

I see some valid reason to object to the deal, increasing the debt is one and the cut in Social Security deduction is another, but securing tax cuts for myself and wanting to deny them to others is not a valid objection.

No comments:

Post a Comment