Sunday, June 06, 2010

Voting On Discrimination

There was a letter to the editor in the San Diego Union-Tribune the other day, which I can no longer locate and so will have to quote from memory, which struck me as quite eloquent,

Whites did not get to vote on the manner in which blacks would be incorporated into military service, men did not get to vote on the manner in which women would be incorporated into military service, why are straight people being allowed to vote on the incorporation of gays and lesbians into military service?

I would also like to speculate as to whether or not men serving on submarines were asked to vote regarding the incorporation of women into that service. Forgive me if I sound cynical, but I strongly suspect not.

Small memory regarding my father. When he died Davis-Monthan Air Force Base sent a detachment to participate in his memorial service before he was flown to Washington for burial at Arlington. Three of the pallbearers were women, and I was very pleased with that. Dad was very proud that the Air Force had been leading the way in incorporating women into the full spectrum of military service.

He would have wanted them to do likewise with gays and lesbians. He did not like discrimination in any form. Nor do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment