Thursday, May 14, 2009

Peregrine Adventure

imageI’m working away at the computer when there is a tremendous thud in the living room, so I go in to see what happened. Molly is in the hallway, freaked out and peering into the living room in abject terror, and it turns out a Peregrine was being chased by a couple of Crows and had hit the window at full speed. The Peregrine was on the ground on its back, not moving, and the Crows were picking at it.

I decided that was not something I wanted happening in my front yard and went downstairs, intending to remove the dead bird; not happy at all, because I really like Peregrines. The Crows left, of course, when I arrived and the Peregrine, though motionless, was blinking. Oh crap, it’s not dead, but it’s not moving either. I have no earthly idea what to do about that. So I put a basket over the poor creature to keep the dratted Crows away from it and kept an eye on the situation, checking every five minutes or so while I started dinner.

For half an hour or so the Peregrine remained motionless, and I feared the worst. But then Molly, who had also been checking out the window, became very excited, looking over her shoulder at me and meowing excitedly. I looked out the window and, sure enough, there was movement.
I went down and removed the basket. Peregrine is in a very awkward position, wings half spread, and just stares at me a moment then, happily, flies off.

I enjoyed the happy ending, but Molly kept looking out the window for some time, wondering where her entertainment (lunch?) went.

No comments:

Post a Comment