Monday, February 20, 2012

Friendship 7, Mercury Program

Fifty years ago today. I did not realize the the Atlas rocket was built in San Diego. Of Course, in 1962 I did not really know that San Diego existed. I did boot and EM school at Great Lakes, Submarine School at New London, and was still there when John Glenn made his flight. Shortly after that I would be stationed in San Diego, but not for long, and it was not until 1994 that I made this city my home.

Anyway, in 1962 I was certainly aware of the Mercury program, and later of Gemini and then Apollo. Like much of America our space program kept me glued to my television set for many huors. What happened?

1 comment:

  1. It now is under the control of Russians.Not really I guess, but here sure are a lot around NASA. The joke around the Clear Lake area of Houston is that there are more Soviets in Clear Lake than in the NHL.

    ReplyDelete