Thursday, January 24, 2008

Food Blogging Today

This may look really similar to other stuffed pepper recipes you’ve seen and/or used, but it’s one I invented on the spot a couple of nights ago.

Stuffed Bell Peppers

4 ea med-sized Bell Peppers
2 ea Italian sausages
6 oz fresh mushrooms
1 ea stalk fresh celery
1 ea boneless chicken breast, cooked
¾ cup rice, cooked
15 oz can Tomato sauce
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp Oregano
½ tsp Thyme

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the tops off the peppers, core them and pop them into boiling water to parboil for about 3-4 minutes. You can use any color peppers you like, green is traditional, but I use red.

Squeeze the sausages out of the casings into a skillet with a little olive oil in it and medium heat and while it is cooking chop it up into little bitty* pieces. Do I need to tell you not to use a non-stick skillet** for this?

Now chop the mushrooms into small pieces and add them to the skillet.

Stir that occasionally while you’re chopping the celery into little bitty pieces. Add the celery to the skillet.

Stir that occasionally while you’re chopping the chicken into little bitty pieces. Add the chicken to the skillet.

Add some garlic powder, Oregano and Thyme to suit your taste. Let that mellow a couple of minutes as you stir it and then add the rice and tomato sauce.

Mix that all up well and put it into the peppers in a glass oven dish. You will have more than will fit into the peppers. That’s fine, let it spill out around them in the pan. Put it in the oven and let it bake about 20-25 minutes.

*I try to avoid highly technical cooking terms like this in my recipes, but sometimes it’s unavoidable. In this context it means chop away until you have something like crumbled hamburger. It will require persistence and a bit of patience.

**My skillet is cast iron. I don’t even own one of the non-stick kind, although my wife does. She immolates some eggs in it once a week or so. I try to avoid the kitchen at times like that.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:21 AM

    I have a small cast iron skillet which I use just about exclusively for corn bread. Eggs/omelets cook better in a non-stick pan. I should probably get a larger cast iron pan for other purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, probably. I have 3 different sizes. Your (Bruce's) brother probably has more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:11 AM

    No, I only have three.
    On the other hand, I do have two sizes of cast-iron dutch ovens; and two of each size of skillet. I DO use both skillets of a given size at once. I often use three at once, and have been known to use four, and wish for another burner.
    On the gripping hand--momlee owns a size I don't, and would use if I did. (She won't let me borrow it. I wonder why? Probably because she thinks that the only way she'll ever see it again is when I invite her to dinner and use it!)

    [Arthur]

    ReplyDelete