Saturday, September 29, 2007

Grace Under Fire

As those of you who read my blog regularly know, I am no fan of the Bush family. Nonetheless, I was quite taken with Jenna Bush when I saw her interview by Diane Sawyer for ABC News. She came off as quite a charming person. Her answers to questions seemed to be made with a degree of thoughtfulness, honesty and forthrightness that is somewhat unusual in today’s public persons.

In response to Matt Damon’s discussion that President Bush’s children should be fighting in Iraq, she said “I understand the point of the statement” and that “I believe I serve by teaching” and serving in UNICEF.

When asked about the war in Iraq she replied, “I talk about it with my friends, I’m just not going to talk about it on national tv.” To me, that was a very nice answer, and it was delivered tactfully and respectfully.

I wish the parents had as much depth as the child.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:55 PM

    I did not see/hear her, but it appears that she has matured indeed. And I too like her response. and it is graceful yet firm. Too bad Ms. Sen. Clinton is so brusque... might give a pooiticain a bad name (ha ha)

    ReplyDelete